Mounting problems with the BMW 7 Series

The Right Car

Mounting problems with the BMW 7 Series. Maybe one day people will realize how overrated the Beemer really is. Nice car for the most part but definetly much to overhyped. Don’t believe me? Just test drive a 330 and a Infiniti G35 back to back. And then decide what to do with the $10K that you can save with the Infiniti G35 [The Wagner Blog]

Right sentiment, wrong car. ;) I’ve had my Audi A6 2.7t for almost 2 years, and I’ve never driven a car that’s even remotely like it, especially not for the price. Where $40k might get you into a bottom level 3-Series, it buys you one of the fastest, most comfortable, and downright well appointed luxury cars on the road. The twin turbos show virtually no lag, even here at 6500 feet. Oh, and with fully-independent full-time all wheel drive, it handles like a snowmobile in the winter weather. :)  [The .NET Guy]

I tried very hard to let this go, but being a die-hard car guy and race driver I just couldn’t.  ;-)  I’m a BMW guy myself; don’t have one any more, but I’ve missed them ever since I sold my 328.  There’s a certain driving feel to most BMW’s that has yet to be matched in any Audi that I have driven; balance and steering feedback is top-notch.  The closest to this was a friend’s S4, but still not the same (although I must confess, I only drove the S4 twice).  But for the track, I’d take a BMW over either the Infiniti or an Audi.

Now when the snow falls, as you mention, it’s a whole different story.  :-)

79 thoughts on “Mounting problems with the BMW 7 Series

1. steve

i drive a 1999 e38 740i bought used. it still has 2yrs extended warranty left. i have a very annoying “boinging” type noise from the rear of the car that two main dealers can,t rectify, one said it was a flexing fuel tank, the other changed two rear alpina sports shocks(factory fitted originally). the noise is still there and getting worse, one dealer had the car for a week to no avail. could it be the rear blind mechanism, boot lifters?? its driving me mad, help!!!

1. Sunil Kololgi

Steve, I had a similar problem that my friendly (non-dealer) mechanic look at. He said there was a recall and I needed a software update ( $ 50 ). It reduced the problem by 75%. I had the software updated again and the problem in 99% GONE.
      This problem was very noticable as the rest of car was perfect. May have missed it in most non-BMWs.

2. DANIEL

I OWN A 2004 330CI BMW WITH 12,000K. THE CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP 4 TIMES ALREADY. THEY HAVE REPLACED THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

NAVIGATION,RADIO,REPAIRED SEAT,6 COILS,LEAKING HEAD GASKET. THIS CAR IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF $48,500 SH*T YOU CAN BUY. BMW NORTH AMERICA DOESN’T DO A THING TO HELP.NOT ONLY IS THE CAR HORRIBLE BUT THE SERVICE CENTER IN SOUTHAMPTON NY IS HORRIBLE. NOT TO MENTION THAT OUR PREVIOUS BMW THAT WAS BROUGHT IN FOR AN OIL CHANGE, THEY GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT WITH. THIS CAR HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT TROUBLE AND VERY,VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE. ON 1/31/04 WILL HEADING OVER TO ATLANTIC CITY THE CAR JUST STARTED BUCKING AND DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF I95N WITH TRAFFIC FLOWING AT 75MPH. THEY WONT DO ANYTHING UNTIL SOMEONE GETS INJURED OR DIES. THERE ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE WILL PICK UP THE CAR AND BRING IT TO A LOCAL BMW DEALER EVEN THOUGH I LIVE 3 HOURS AWAY. ALSO THEY WILL NOT ASSIST IN TRANSPORTING YOU. I WILL NOT LET THIS HAPPEN AND WILL BRING THESE ISSUES TO THEM LEGALLY IF NOTHING IS DONE. I POSTED THIS TO WARN ANYONE OUT THERE TO BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN BUYING A BMW. THEY ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY AS PER PLENTY OF ADDITIONAL OWNERS COMPLAINTS. TO SEE WORK ORDERS FROM BMW JUST EMAIL ME.

DANIEL

H.D.R INC

1. Cadd

I bought a 2011 750li xdrive ..I have paid almost three notes ..and only driven car for two days…..drive moderate lights come on engine light appears..dealer tells me they can’t find problem..it’s like a needle in a haystack…if bmw can’t fix there own cars ,,,well who can? Piece of sh.,,,t car….made a real bad decision….run as far away from bmw bullshitt as fast as u can…..

3. fred

To daniel

I work at a BMW dealer and everything youve said is typical

navi computer, CD player

The six coils are a pathetic joke and bmw knows it

what about the water pump, thermostat, control arm bushings, radiator and expansion tank, head light moisture?

you shold be ready for those next

4. Susan

Hey…I think bmws are beautiful great cars…they know how the handle the road! i have an x3 and it is absolutely amazing…I couldn’t have asked for a better car…and I also love audis…audis and bmws are the cars I’d choose over any infiniti or lexus!

5. Evee

this is a question for ppl with BMWs that has so much problems, Why did you buy one in the first place? I’m writing a paper on why ppl buy BMWs and would love to hear some opinions.

6. William

Evee, there is an article in April 2005 Automobile magazine that is right on target, has the answers to most comments like Susan’s. Clearly a choice of brand name moreso than any other factor. I’ve been in the automotive business/scene/hobby for 33 yrs, even sold them for 5 and the article in Automobile is an exceptional piece. The honest truth will not be accepted/admitted to by Euro snobs (funny that they are mostly American) no matter what the facts are. Sad but true…

7. Steve Hodges

I’ve leased two BMW 7 cars, a 740i and a 745i. The lease on my present 745i expires in June and I can’t wait to get out of it. In the 33 months that I’ve had it, it’s been in the shop for a total of 74 days (24 trips). I’ve only been able to pick it up for service in one day once in that time. In December, it was in the shop for 11 days. Although I called ahead for an appointment and a loaner, I was in a Mini Cooper all of that time.

I’ve written BMW North America twice about this and they have been absolutely no help. They came back to me several weeks ago offering to knock $6500 off the price of a 2006 750i, but I’m sorry, I’m moving into a 2006 Infiniti M45.

8. Jerry Solar

I am considering to buy an used 7 series (1997-1999). Are there any problems I should be aware off?

Thanks,

JS

9. M.Majercak

We purchased a 1999 750IL Certified used car from a Phoenix dealer with 17,904 miles on it in March of 2003. To date the car has 40,000 miles on it and the transmission locked up with no warning. The extended warantee was up in March of this year. The car has been maintained by the dealership. BMW North America offered to have the dealer fix it for more that the price that a independent BMW repair shop was going to charge. No wonder all of our friends have stopped buying BMW’s. How about that great German engineering and customer service.

10. Dottie

I have ’04 X3….it has been in the shop 7 times….any one else out there having problems….what are they?

11. Khalid

I have a problem with the 0-100kmph acceleration time of my BMW 740i (4.4L), 1999.

It takes more than 8 seconds while the actual should be 6.2 or 6.5 at worst case!

Engine smooth running is 100% passed.

Automatic Transmission system is not guaranteed! Is it possible to be the cause?

12. Khalid

To Steve:

I had the same problem with my 740i (1999) BMW. I resolve this problem by changing the carbon breathing kit.

13. Khalid

To Jerry Solar:

I advice you to have 2000 model. some problems with electrical throttle were initiated in 1999 model have been solved in this model.

14. vera

I just purchased a 2002 745i, I have had to take it to the shop three times, this last time I took it in I was informed that I will now have to turn on the raido and cd player manually because the work that was done on it required me to have to give up some features and the ability to have the radio and cd player come on atuomatically when the car was started has to go. can you believe that?

15. jeff

I have owned a 2004 645 ci since May 2004…..the vehicle is going into bmw for the 3rd time to correct a “popping” sound when I turn the steering wheel….last time around bmw replace the rack and pinion system…the popping feel and sound occurs more prevelantly in the morning after start up…..Now bmw wants to rectify the problem by replacing the u joint…..Have any owners of a similar vintage experienced a similar problem….How was it corrected…..Thanks….

16. paul

we have a 645ci for 7 months now. first day the battery died , been in the shop 4 times for radio and various other electronics issues.

also own an x5 – its a dream. too much software on the 6 interferes with what bmw does best – handling and motors

17. Chuck

A friend has offered to sell me his 1999 740i (140,00miles)at what appears to be a good price. He is a BMW “fanatic” and maintains his cars well. He concedes that the tranny does not up-shift soon enough in low gears so he uses the sport shift until he reaches cruising speed. He suspects adjustment or sensor problems. Any thoughts on causes or cures?

18. Breck

I got a 94 740i and it broke down today. I thought it was frozen water pump but now there’s tranny problems and the Transmission Program light comes on. Think I got 2 different issues, of is the tranny reacting to a seized water pump?… thanks

19. JasS

I’ve got a 1999 e46 323i sedan with 136,000 miles on it. I’ve had it for about 1 & 1/2 years. It’s really funny seeing how many complaints and problems ‘newer’ bimmer drivers are having and most of those cars have under 50k miles……I HAVENT had any major problems…only routine maint….Maybe what they say is true…”It takes high miles to break the car in”….(not sure how much work the last owner had to do on it though)

20. Michael

Whoa boy…I just purchased a pristine 2003 330Ci with only 21000 miles on it. It is a Certified Pre-Owned car. I think it was a lease previously. Anyway, a great car. I average 30+ mpg on the highway and it’s smooth as silk. The performance option suspension and 18″ alloys make it handle great. Cruising at 85mph is child’s play.

OK, now to the bad part. My battery just went dead. Completely dead at just 21000 miles. WTF? My trunk won’t open unless I pull up as I push the key fob to unlock, open it. WTF?

I know that this is petty stuff, but at a premium price and at only 21000 well-cared for miles none of this should be happening.

My wife’s Honda Accord V-6 Navi is a much better car all around. I just hope that the problems are few and far between!

21. Jose A. Lopez

I have a 94 BMW 740il.

My problem is that i can’t get it statarted….it will not cranck !!! .Battery is good instrument cluster illuminates but,when I turn the all the way to start,nothing happens…not even a sound!! Could anybody help on a possible cause?

Thanks

jal1948@aol.com

22. Andre

330xi…

…don’t buy it. The thing is a piece of crap after 50,000 miles. Head most of the front end replaced, ignition coils replaced prior to 50,000 miles, now I have a major problem that BMW can’t figure out…they think it’s the transmission tork converter. That should cost a pretty penny. Love the way it handles, but never buy one again. What compares in the marke in terms of handling?

23. mjbernier

I have a bmw 750 1998 and it has wipers malfunction. The dealer has not been able to repair it. The wipers stop when it rains…The car is unusabled. Do somebody know what could be the problem. The motor has been changed 4 times so has the control box and the wipers. Any idea?

24. Shad

I have a 1995 Bmw 740i. Love the car but, now I am having problems accelerating. If I accelerate hard the car doesnt want to move fast as it should. Up hill is even worse. Depending on the engine rpms the car may or maynot exceed 65mph. Seems like the car is straining at times.

Please help!

25. Jack Thomson

I would stick with the 1994 if at all possible. I have been having a lot of brake problems with my 95 and I really think that it’s a piece of crap at this point. I hope you have better luck than me.

26. John

First off, nothing drives like a BMW. Nothing. Yes, they, like any other car in the world, have their problems. Yes, BMW has slacked off in some areas. But, the majority of problems are avoided easily. CARE IS A NECESSITY! A BMW is no Toyota. IT MUST BE MAINTAINED! My father bought our families’ first BMW in ’83 (320i). He knew what he was doing and took very good care of it (it is no longer ours-we sold it to a neighbor-but it still runs great!). Since then, we have bought nothing but BMWs (a 2007 335 will soon be our 7th). We have never had any major problem. ever. How? We take care of them- They are a driver’s car-if you are not a driver and do not expect to give it what it needs-DO NOT BUY ONE. Please, buy a Lexus-it will be much less of a hassle for you-and I don’t mean that in a negative way-Lexus has made a very nice car-but, to me, it’s still no BMW.

27. jake

i am in japan and bought my car from “BMW Japan”.
    it is a 7 series. i have had it for 2 years. how long has it been broken. it was broken when i bought it. thats right they sold it to me and it marely made it to my house. for the 2 years i have had it, there has not been a day when it wasnt broken. the BMW headquarters are no help at all. the mechanics are untrained and actually break the car when they try to fix it. BMW Japan dont buy one.
    from what i am reading here it looks like this is a worldwide problem. the top 10 rules in life. this is in the top ten. never buy a bmw. take my advise you will just be wasting your money. the cars are lemons. total lemons and unreapirable. if they ever can fix them they will probably break down before you get it out of the dealer showroom.
    i own a 2005 bmw 7 series. i will never buy another bmw.

28. John

I have a 2001 740I and absolutely love the car.. I baby the vehicle but when I get a chance I get it on open roads and turn it loose.. turn’s ,Hill’s.. I had to buy new tires for it.. $1000.00 I am now getting a tune up, head gaskets replace and an oil change. all for 700.00 NOT BAD. I love my car and I’m sorry that everyone has had a bad experience with these wonderful Vehicles..
    John

29. Ravi

I have 2001 740i with 111,000 miles on it and enjoy it very much. It had its share of problems but mainly routine maintainence. As long as things are done on time it seems to have no issues. As one of you put it, it is a drivers car and and you need to take care of it. Find a reliable shop to care for it and you will enjoy it for a long time. Bottomline nothing drives like a BMW. I have had all kinds of cars in 25 years and I enjoy this the most.

30. paul

i own a 1995 740il. ive had it for almost 2 years and so far ive replaced the two front window motors a control arm bushing and the water pump which wasnt broken but about to be. it runs solid and i love it. i only paid 10k and it had 44k miles so all of the extra expenses didnt hurt being that i didnt pay too much for a 65k dollar car. the newer models seem to have more trouble due to too much electircal crap in them.

31. John

I have a 99 740iL. Lots of repairs – like water pump, control arm bushings, new radiator etc,. BUT it is a GREAT car. VERY smooth V8 and powerful acceleration. It has 129k miles on it but drives very well. And yes I agree with many of you who say – nothing drives like a BMW – or at least my 740iL !!

I am selling it in case anyone is looking!

32. Jason Doornick

Ladies, Gentlemen… Fans of BMW’s. My name is Jason Doornick. I am an avid fan of most sport cars. I currently Drive a 2001 Audi All-road with Adjustable suspension. Irregular problems have occurred and has been a deterrent for me to get a new one. I am going/have been wanting to get a BMW. Everyone that I personally speak to about a BMW says it is every sport car drivers DREAM COME TRUE. But online, phone, forums, blogs… People put the BMW down a lot. Problems… Issues… repairs… i drive…. x drive. I very much like the spaciousness of the 2003-present 7 series. The 5 series, as well, attracts me just as much. The 7 serious is my top choice now because of room, MPG, robustness, and style. I want as much feedback as possible about anyone owning a 5 series or 7 series in this year range (2003-present). Hoping that I can get some positive or interesting feedback i will make my decision to move to BMW or to stick with Audi or Mercedes. I would be more than happy to give anyone feedback about Audis. I have learned so much about them as I have owned 3 of them and driven many through family and dealres. Thanks—~~~

Jason Alexander Van Doornick

33. Scott

Im a proud owner of a 1995 750il with 130k on it,runs and drives like a freakin new car,best of all it looks almost like a 2001 as well..oil changes,coolant flush, and of course gasoline (v-12 baby) …stick with the factory wheels though(16 in) the 18 in wheels are crap,car will bottom out and will give a very rough ride..sorry all you guys have bad mechanics…

34. sara

wow!I am the proud owner of a 1984L7 series,it has almost 300,000 miles on it! This car was made when they gave a sh*t.My husband is a mechanic,so I know how much repairs cost and appriciate them.BMW seems to have lost their integrity.I dont know what to say-my sympathy.Our shop has serviced many BMW’s…the new ones just lack quality.good luck,research before you buy,OLD SCHOOL still has it and parts are easy to find.

35. Bobby

Charles,
    Take a second think about that I have the 745LI 2002 and it has been in the shop more days than I think I have had the pleasure of driving. Yesterday out of the blue, transmission error, drive error whatever that means, Airbag failure, and about 5 or 6 other things all at once. Bottom line if you don’t have a problem taking this piece of junk into the shop every couple of months and you MAKE SURE YOU HAVE a warranty you should be good to go. BTW Mine has 44,000 on the clock

36. Paul Walker

Being on the lookout for my favourite car ‘the BMW 5 OR 7 series (less than 10 years old), i decided to look at these forum sites.

One thing i can say is that after reading all the forum articles, NEVER buy a BMW which has an engine size over a 528i.

I have observed that only the larger BMW engines seem to encounter the problems.

37. Jeremy connor

I own a 97 740 i and think i have to replace a head gasket im not sure though. I do know its gonna be a small fortune 3 to 4 thousand rouphly . Any body have input?

38. carla

I have a 2005 530i has anyone experienced anything with this series. the intercom comes on and beeps thgree times everytime i drive it an dit rides really hard. any sugesstions or comments

39. steve

had 1999 750v12 for 2and a half years, all problems seem main dealer created. always something else wrong when they do a repair. find a good mechanic you can trust, my 750 has 140000 miles and runs like a dream now. heard a guy used to travel regularly from germany to england had 500000 miles on the clock and amazingly claimed speeds normally 180mph on the german autobarns. v12 fab machine…..

40. It's over for me

It’s over, the transmission on my 1994 740il finally froze, won’t shift or nothing. Burnt tranny smells, etc. This on top of the radiator going out, the A/C compresser…well that’s gone too, plus the heater blower motor. The cloth on the ceiling has become detached from the adhesive and the right front wheel hub shakes violently when I apply the brakes. Did I mention the non-functional CD player, yeah that quit working too and the electronics, like the rear shade and sunroof only work once in a while…..plus it needs a paint job as the paint is fully faded……good thing I got that $950.00 loan from Loan Star Title loan here in Houston. Since the car in it’s current condition is worth only $1200 for parts, I think I’ll call them and have the car towed away and we’ll call it a day, then I’ll take the $950.00 I saved and add it to my $3200.00 it would costs for a new tranny and go out and buy a used Porsche or 3 series BMW……yeah…that will be my new plan for change…yes 2009 is the year for change!

41. Joel

I bought my “dream” transporter 1999 740iLS last fall for $9,000 and have had nothing but problems with it. First it was the starter…$700. Then it was rotors and brakes…$1,100. Then it was tires …$650. Then it was the coolant system…$1450. Then it was bad after-market wheel replacement…$1250. Now it has the famous 740i 50-60 MPH shakes. By the time I get done with this POS, I’ll have $20K sunk into it and could have purchased a used Accord that still gets me to work and back. The CD player, nav system and rear windows never did work, and that’s why I thought I got a good deal. Unfortunately, it’s the most beautiful auto I’ve ever owned…black with no dents or scratches and definitely turns heads (when it runs). It reminds me of the Fiat 124 I had in college 30 years ago. My next car is going to be an Infinity or a Cadilac CTS.

42. Ivan

Yo… i think it depend of the year ,,i owned 3 bimmers ,,, 325iX 1989 525i 1991,, and now 535i 1993 the car is the BEAST thift stick(manual) the best car in the world ,,if U take care about your car , your car take care about U!!! BMW the BEST!!!! new models SUCK!!! buy nometter of milege ander 1996!!!

43. Len

What about the m3 has anybody had any major problems with this car & if any one knows what year was it when they came with a turbo was it 03.. Or 02??

& what about the m5 any problems with this car ??? I wanna purchase me either or but would like sum info on these models from experienced owners… THANKS!

44. Ken

My 1993 740il just blew the water pump after 165,000 miles. I’ve had some problems and dread the leaking power steering pump and the strangely shifting tranny.
    I’ve had to deactivate the self leveling rear and replace the hydralic plumbing with standard shocks and coil springs. Replaced a few front bushings and seems like a wheel bearing is starting to act up.
    Not sure what to do next but a Lexus E350 is looking appealing. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had a 528i, 633csi and now the 740il. Parts and service getting too expensive (I use an independent garage in Wycoff NJ and not that POS Southampton NY dealer mentioned above.
    I’m in a quandry as the car is only worth about $2,500 if running and will take $850 for water pump and serpentine belt.

45. Jaime

I have strongly considered purchasing a 2002 BMW 530i. I was told by many people that the 5-series from ’97-’03 are virtually bulletproof. I just wanted to know if they have any major problems that I would have to look out for.(Blown head gaskets,transmissions failing,etc.)

46. David Tyers

I ahve owned 4 X5 from year 2000 to 2007. I am considering a new 750 XI year 2010. I already know that the navigation system does not work well in the 2009, due to a new map provider. Does any one have thoughts on the 750 LI 2009 o r the new 2010 750 XI?

47. anthony

I HAVE A 1999 750IL BMW V12 AND I LOVE IT RUNS GREAT HAS EVERTHING AND MORE JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT WONT TRADE FOR A NEW ONE BUILT FOR POWER WHER EVER I GO I GET NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS SAID ABOUT ITS LOOKS THANKS BMW FOR GREAT CAR.

48. Kojo

I have a 1992 E34 525i and I have had this for 5 years. This car is definitely a beast, it has had it problems but once u fix em….u r good to go. No car is perfect, its all about how good you take care of it. 245000 miles and still running. I am looking to get an 04 745…any experiences? thanks

49. Rick

All cars are simple machines that require repair from time to time to insure correct operation. As for Lexus/Toyota/Scion, they are not without issues, check out some prices for common parts for a Toyota – Like the power window switch for a drivers door for a Corolla – Can you believe is more expensve than the door skin (sheet metal) $350.00 – I’m sure that’s not all because of the poor exchange rate with the yen. Think again before you buy that Lexus – Call a dealer up and ask why the repair is almost $4000.00 – I’ll stick with the Europeans – they have been producing a superior product for years – they invented the automobile after all.

50. Truyen Dang

Europeans vehicle are most unreliable,if you want reliable car stick with the Japanese….stay away from Toyota for a while they will come back. Ford Taurus would be good one to consider. Stay away from the europeans, you can not find part for it and not too many mechanic shop know how to work on them…

51. Vish

I am 32 yrs old, married with one child and own a 1999 BMW 740i sport with 48,500 miles on the clock, silver with grey leather. It is definitely a beautiful looking car, and it turns heads whether at the traffic lights or parked up. I see people stopping by to stop and admire it, and I don’t blame them. I have had the car for seven years now and still admire it. Not driven anything better other than the 2008 M5, but the car is in a different league and is not as refined.

My BMW is definitely the best car I’ve owned so far, I never tire from driving it. I look forward to driving it either locally to work on a daily basis and to enjoy at the weekend. Nothing drives like a BMW, they are really fun to drive. It is the ultimate driving machine! I love the growl from the V8 engine and it handles extremely well for such a big car. The car glides on the motorway, overtaking effortlessly 95% of cars that comes in front of it. My daughter loves it and always wants to go in “Daddy’s BMW.”

My wife loves sitting in my BMW especially being cossetted in fine leather and polished bur walnut wood. She loves listening to the amazing sound system. We go for drives in the night and the ambience of the interior and with the sound of music makes the BMW a memorable car. I love all the courtesy lights on the vehicle. Even the handles light up in the dark at the touch of the button from the remote contol central locking.

Being a sport the drive is a little firm, but never uncomfortable. It is well balanced. I have allowed my wife to drive it, and she loves the feeling of having the power of the V8 at the tap of the accelerator. Much different to driving a four cylinder diesel Mercedes E Class.

Yes, the BMW does come with problems, so make sure you can dig deep in your wallet if you considering buying such a car. My last major service costed me £1300. It needed a new radiator, 5 new sensors, brake discs and pads, and other usual servicing repairs. I agree, the bigger engine cars have more problems.

After spending so much money, I am still having the engine management light coming on and my mechanic can’t find the problem. I am not too concerned as the car performs well. Was thinking of getting the problem resloved from BMW once and for all or go to a local BMW specialist.

Another common problem I have been having is that if I don’t use the car on a regular basis, my battery goes flat. Have even fitted a new Varta battery a year ago.

My father has a Lexus LS 400 which is 18 yrs old and has 101,000 miles on the clock. We have had it for 16 years and mechanically, it has never missed a beat. The Lexus is super smooth super quiet, but half the fun to drive and to please as the BMW. For my father, he wants a good workhorse and that’s what the Lexus is. It is dependable and reliable with low servicing costs for a big car.

I have driven the S Class Mercedes. It is a superb car, however, would prefer to be chauffeurd driven in one.

If I am to change, it will be perhaps be another BMW but a 3 series, perhaps a 320i se or a 330d se.

I consider my car like a classy, sexy woman, bundles of fun but at a price! I am gonna keep hold of it for a very long time, because I simply love it!

52. Jay

I am looking for a newer vehicle, considering Audi A8, BMW 745LI, MB S-class, BMW X5, or MB M-class. Can anyone offer any comparisons? Any other vehicles I should be considering? I drive about 30,000 miles per year. I’m in a Volvo with 300k miles – it is too small, lacks needed storage space, and is gradually losing all of it’s functionality (no AC, no dash lights, no tilt, no cruise, no CD, tranny problems etc…). I would like to buy soon – next 30 days or so! HELP! Suggestions please!

53. Dee

I have a 1991 BMW 750 iL V-12: I LOVE THIS CAR!!! It is solid, and truly is one amazing machine. The engine excellerates effortlessy, and at one point everything worked just fine (I purchased it used in 2002 with 85K miles, now it has 147K miles). Within the first 30 days, the water pump blew out on me while on the freeway, at a towing cost of $330. The pump was about $120 to replace. Not long after that, the radiator went out, and so did the rear hydraulic brake accumulator. Being that the car was about 11 years old at the time, receipts from the previous owner showed regularly scheduled maintenance had been performed, and most of the costly parts were replaced prior to my acquisition. As of to date, I ran into some high-standing water, and the engine stopped and wouldn’t start. I had one jackal tell me the engine was hydro-locked. I took it to a mechanic that I once trusted (but trust no more) and he was able to get all of the water out. The car ran better than before!!! Then the rear differential had to be replaced as well as the front stabilzer bar. The front struts need replacing as well as the muffler (dragged the muffler on the freeway for several miles and it’s now loud, but actually sounds like a Ferrari so I decided not to fix it!!!). Other than the fact that if you do not start the car within five days of its last run, the battery goes completely dead (???). I hear all of the complaints from everyone, but rest assure, my ’91 750iL is the STUFF and I will not part from unless it is absolutely necessary.

I also now own an ’06 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 – this car is the SH!T!!! There are no words for it other than I AM GLAD I HAVE IT!!! My fiance is so crazy about the car, that she is buying me a (used) 745Li for me to drive while she drives my Benz. Although I agree with her kind-heartedness, I make it known that the CLS is still MY CAR – even during and (hopefully not) after marriage. The 745Li is an ’03 with just over 101K miles. The seller claims that it has been dealer maintained for all scheduled visits, and that the only thing wrong with it is that there is a flat tire sensor that stays on, although all 4 tires had been replaced. Can someone post on this forum the cost of a (single) replacement flat tire sensor? I believe the price of the car is a good one and I don’t want to have to break my girl’s heart by taking back my car, but if I can get some reliability out of this thing until I get my Bentley Continental GT (1-2 years from now), I will be a happy person. I will NEVER get rid of my 750iL if I can help it. Sorry to hear of all the troubles other BMW owners are having, but i guess God blessed me to have a reliable old Bimmer that is kicking A$$ everytime it gets on the road. But, I am thinking about getting a Ferrari 360 replica and dropping my Bimmer’s V12 engine in it. Anyone know of a Ferrari body kit car company that I can contact???

54. Anthonee

Hello, can anyone help, I have a 1996 BMW 750IL and couple days ago the back of the vehicle just raised up and never went back down. Does anyone know what could be the problem and how can I fix it?

55. SP

I own a 1999 750il v12. When I bought it in 2008, it has only 80000km. However, it was very much neglected and subsequent repairs include changing the radiator, main module computer and an peripherial one, air conditioning not working properly, not cold enough, a slight leak in one of the cylinder head which gives a petrol fume inside the car when the engine is cold, jerky transmission when downshifting before stopping, dead pixel (in fact, mostly dead pixels), etc. However, when driven, it is an excellent car. While there are newer cars (audi, bmw, mercedes, etc) beat it on acceleration and max. speed, the low roar of the v12 and the seamless acceleration is just something to enjoy. Like all things beautiful, if you don’t give it nuturing, it ruins. Look at the great Greek temples, they could have be archectural marvals, but now only corroded marble heaps. Same with the 7s. All 7s are built with the latest technologies of its time. Therefore, they would not like a corolla or camry, which stay very much the same in concept and design except using slightly modern technologies for each version. So, that’s life, our friends!

56. Johnmac

I have a 1999 740i with 360,000 miles on it. Thats right, almost half a million. Problems? The passenger mirror sometimes doesn’t pivot down when put in reverse.

57. ray

I had base 1996 BMW 381i for 2.5 Years Love it no no problems bar the the normal services . was inquireing I own Fairlane Ghia LWB 2002 was wonder what 1999 BMW 740IL Like ??

58. Jausan

I own a 1994 BMW 740iL, my second BMW used to own a 1974 BMW 2002 Automatic, liked the car until the rear-axle bearing locked in the middle of the Santa Monica Freeway and almost had me killed. The 740iL has about 227,000 miles on it. Here are some givens for the 7 Series, TRANS PROGRAM will pop-up eventually because of the transmission brake clutch and transmission drive clutch. The common recommendation is to replace the tranny, here is where a decision must be made because the tranny cost more than the car is worth.

In California where most BMW’s are purchased or leased in the states we refer to them as “Big Money Wasted”. Rarely does anyone keep the cars past 50k because they know what is about to come. The craftsmanship has lacked due to sourcing in other locations for parts etc.

I only used used or aftermarket parts with the exception of rubber and electrical components. I have decided in 2011 to purchase another car and it will never be BMW again, my 1991 Mercedes 560SEL has been to a shop once since I bought it off the show-room floor. BMW has been there far more times than I can remember. After the warranty expired, I have done all of the work myself and it has saved me a fortune. In LA they are no longer status symbols because they are so common like a Chevy and Ferraris, Lambs, and Aston Martins are the head-turners. Bought a For Sale sign today and proudly posted it in the window of the 740iL today.

59. ady ady

I was thinking of buying a 2003 BMW 745 but after seeing all these comments I guess I will go with Lexus the bimmer might be fun to drive but nothing is worth spending time at the dealership paying for his boat payments! Good luck to y’all

60. sam

Reading all the posts has me seriously debating with my wife about a 2002 bmw 745i that i want to purchase. I have always wanted one and hopefully i will not regret the decision. I just wish my wife does not give me the i told you so when the problems start.

61. Danny

When you want to buy a BMW, always buy the final year for that specific model. Honestly, the difference between a 2002 7 series and a 2008 7 series is mind boggling. My 2002 745i was nothing but a hassle, and was in the shop at least once every 8k miles for something new. I loved the car but hated the problems it had. I finally got rid of the 745 and decided on buying a 2008 750Li. Best decision of my life. I commute an hour and a half to and from work every morning with this car. Next week will mark exactly 3 years I had this car and I put a pretty 68k miles on it. The original warranty was up 18k miles ago but I had little difficulty in getting an extended 6 yr 100k mile warranty for only $2995 a year which is a GREAT deal considering how much this car would cost to repair (Spent over 20k in repairs on my old 745 between 2005 and 2008).
    i almost regret buying the warranty because this car is so reliable compared to the earlier models. The only problem it’s ever had was the Logic 7 amp blew out at 43k miles. other than that the only work ive done on it besides the usual oil change and brake fluid is putting new tires on it at 65k miles.

Sam and Ady, please do not buy those cars. the 2002 and 2003 7 series were notorious for being problematic. i lived through the horror stories you hear about the ’02 7 series. its not worth the trouble. Buy an 07 or 08.

62. JAMES ANDERSON

I AM ONLY 17 AND MY GRANDPA BOUT ME A 2011 750LI(WITH V10) I WENT ON A DOUBLE DATE WIT MY BEST FRIEND AND HIS GIRLFIREND I PICKED HIM UP WE WENT TO EAT CAME OUT THE RESTURANT AND IT DIDNT START IT WAS SO EMBARRASING ANY HELP?

63. Pingback: 2002 bmw 745li power window troubleshooting | ZurichGnome

64. Gideon

I just bought a 520i BMW 1993 model last year and i bet you it’s great German Machine. I also look forward to buying the 740i 2002 model.
    Does anyone have an idea if it’s a car that is good to go with?
    Please i need your advice.

65. Phil

I have owned my 1999 BMW 750il since 2002, after buying it at 46,000 miles for $35,000. I have spent an average of $2,500 per year in repairs and maintenance. The car was $104,000 new. In two of those years the repairs have been around $5,000. Things that have been repaired:
    1. Front suspension – once
    2. radiator/cooling system: twice
    3. Rear struts and shocks – once
    4. water pump – twice
    5. power steering pump – once
    6. intake manifold gaskets – once
    7. tires – three times
    8. transmission – twice (cheap aluminum parts use: $3,100 rebuild)
    9. various other electrical problems and monitors

Actually I don’t think this level of spending is bad with a car of this quality, but expect it to be in the shop often and repairs to be costly. I love the car and am going into restore mode with it. I’ll get it repainted and have some body repair done, and save it for summer driving only.

66. Bobby Ali

I have made up my mind 99%.hounestly 1% depends totally on u guys,should i go with the 1998,7 series with 89000mils(mint condition) or 2004 with 1,20000mils.please reply any1 who owns or knows abt it plzzzzzz…….HELP ASAP

67. MIke

Im considering buying a 1999 BMW 7 Series 740i with 140,000 miles for $6999. The car looks mint and drives good. Any suggestions on whether its a good buy or not? Ive read some pretty scary things here about the same model.

68. lisa

we bought our 2000 740il with over 200,000 miles for 5200 dollars. beautiful car in 3 months we put a new motor in it 4400.00. they said the veaison was bad. then needed a water pump key swithch broke 462. water pump was close to 500 the oil leeks and so does the steering fluid which must be a defect that bmw has not fixed since my son had a 1989 750il and now owns a 330ci dont know why we keep buying these cars only know that when they are running u feel like a million bucks.

69. lisa

still need to say more about our 740il had to buy tires 550. nut since we paid cash for cars and repairs we figure it cost 500 a year to own not bad for this beautiful car. just recently have sunroof opening problems

70. SP

I still own my 1995 730i and it runs well. Despite there are many unworking parts, overall the car is still a pleasure to drive. As it is aging, I have a mpg of 18litre/100km so it is drinking petrol. The ex-owner had disabled the ABS (faulty), numbed the alarm (goes off haywire) and replace the air suspension. Still, it works. So, sometime it is like asking why someone lives to 100 years old. A bit of good maintenance but otherwise – LUCK!

Just getting married, at the moment, we love the person (car), but then as it grows old (dated), we see it through a different standard. Ha Ha…

71. darryl

Im very sorry for all your bmw problems, I have had a 03,04,06,7series bmw’s, even a 2003 range rover with a bmw motor in it. never any problems. The key to buying these cars is to make sure there well taken care of. dont just go in and say ” thats a nice car ,can i test drive?”, tell them to pop off the wheels, let u see the shocks, and underbody, tell them u want to smell the motor, lol, hell… you must learn to shop and pay close attention to the money your about to spend. smell electronics for burnt smells, smell motor for chemical aroma’s, look at the ground after you move the vehicle, ask someone to start the car while u watch the rear pipes for blue smoke. a car has a heart beat, listen to it for skips. dont play radio while test driving, dont let sales ppl talk while your doing your thing.

72. ken

Recently purchased a 745 Li 2002 with 117 K miles. It is no doubt the finest car I have ever sat in let alone driven. I have had to replace the transmission pan/filter and sealing sleeve due to the pan being cracked but it was probably due to be replaced anyway. There is nothing on the car that doesn’t work properly. I guess maybe I’ve been lucky. Has anyone ever did a comparison on the location where these car are from as far as where thay have been driven. Maybe really bad roads could be causing some of the weird electrical problems and other stuff

73. Ghaz

Dear All ,

BMW is like an aother car , requires maintenance on time ….some of the common problems that i ahd with BMW are as follows :

E39/E38 (728) both they have the same problems , radiators , water pump ( plastic impeler) , cooling system is weak , crank and camshaft sensor are very weak and can create lot of problems ,however if you keep an eye on those parts and change them when required the car can go forever and BMW compfort and handling is unbeatable , beleive me BMW is extreemly nice car if you treat it as part of the family ( regular chek up ) before it breaks ..